Thursday, January 2, 2014

There is a time


 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
 a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
 a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
  a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
 a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
 a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.


January 1st, as I was getting ready for the day, the words "for everything there is a season" popped into my mind. 

Often at the beginning of the year, resolutions are made, only to be broken later on in the year. (Those of you have successfully accomplished a new year resolution, congratulations, I am referring to the rest of us losers haha) We silly humans do this every year. I'm sure God gets a good belly laugh, "Here they go again." Now, granted, your resolutions may be legitimate, but for some reason we, the human race, like to try to work for our worth. A lot of times resolutions are for self improvement. (again, not a bad thing) I know I definitely do things to just to do them, so I feel satisfied, as if I accomplished something. However, I am finicky. The only thing I am consistent at is failing. My failings, though, help me realize my need for my savior. I am so thankful that I cannot fulfill my desires, that I cannot do anything on my own. 

Something as silly as resolutions made me realize that God is constant. I experience good times and bad times and I feel a million different emotions. However, in all of my seasons, God is always there. He holds my right hand and leads me in the way everlasting. He knows exactly what is going to happen to me before I do. What is interesting to me, is that all of these different seasons come to pass for my benefit. God tells us that everything works to our good, and ultimately for his glory! It is just a process of becoming more and more like him, sanctification. I think God uses all these various times in my life to break me down, to help me, in some form, begin to grasp my huge need for him. On no one else can I be dependent, only Christ. 

Two songs have been on repeat in my head lately, Not for a Moment by Meredith Andrews and Never Once by Matt Redman. Both of these songs are completely clear in telling about the character of our God. He knows everything that has passed, is happening, and will come to pass. And in every moment he is there, with me. 

After all You are constant 
After all You are only good 
After all You are sovereign 
Not for a moment will You forsake me 
Not for a moment will You forsake me

Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful

I can't say if I have made any resolutions this year, in years past I have. But I do know a few things: I want to realize anew the glory of my savior every day. I want to savor every situation that I encounter, knowing that God has placed it in my life for some lesson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment