Tuesday, January 14, 2014

the least of these

And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ 
Matthew 25:40

Yesterday morning, Alix, Charles, and I went to an orphanage. Before we arrived, I assumed this would be a fairly normal experience. Wrong. I didn't realize that this was a special needs orphanage! I had an incredible time with those precious kids. The establishment we went to is run by Nuns. They run a tight ship, but it was so cool to see these amazing women dedicating their lives to serving these kids.


There has been a desire in my heart to work with special needs kids for some time now. I helped care for my sweet friend, Lindsay, for about six months, and she had a chromosome disorder that confined her to a wheelchair. Those six months were some of the best months of my life. I learned so much from her and I learned to appreciate a lot of things I had been looking over in life. Little things are important. :) It is practically impossible to put into words how it feels to bring joy into someone's life. It is a crazy awesome experience.

I couldn't help but think, "All life is precious." The entire time we were with those kids I could not stop smiling. Each and every one of them is full of life, happiness, and personality. And now here they are, abandoned, being cared for by strangers. Strangers with huge hearts. Another thought I walked away with was "All of us were planned." Perhaps my parents, or your parents, didn't "plan" to have you. But God did. He knew when you needed to be born. He has given me purpose. What an honor to show and share his love in such a simple way for these children! Feeding them breakfast, playing with them, loving them, showing them there is a world outside the sterile walls where they spend most of their time. Fresh air does wonders! :)

I know these beautiful children are near and dear to the heart of Jesus. I walked away from yesterday morning feeling overwhelmed with emotion. I am so thankful to be able to serve Jesus in this way. It may seem simple, but I know one thing, as I closed the gate door behind me, I know I was the one who was changed for the better.

4 comments:

  1. So incredible Lacey.. I miss you so much! You are absolutely right though, we are all planned and have a divine purpose in this life. I am so thankful for the strangers taking care of those children and it is so neat that you got to experience that!
    God Bless your life
    Love you, Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful insight into your day Lacey. Thank you for writing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) That just brought such joy to my heart! So glad you are able to serve the Lord in this way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a precious truth to hear! "All of us were planned!"

    ReplyDelete