Monday, December 23, 2013

The love of a father

During my summer in Costa Rica, I got to know a family that I love so much. Allan and Laine met each other in Costa Rica, at the time, Laine was living here as a missionary. She has since returned to live in the states, with her daughter Chloe, while she goes to school to become a nurse. They are working on getting a visa for Allan because he is a Tico (Costa Rican) and it is a difficult process. It is really hard on Allan and Laine to live in two different countries. So it is always exciting to spend time together, especially during Christmas! 


I've had the opportunity to watch Allan interact wth Chloe and it is precious. I can't imagine what it must be like to be away from someone you love but your own daughter? I know it is hard on him. But when I see him playing with her, talking to her, and loving her, I began to think. Allan is just a man here on earth and while he may love Laine and Chloe with all of his being, it is still imperfect. What I love about God is that he uses examples in the bible to help us understand him on some small level. How cool is it that countless times God tells us he is our father? When I watch Allan interact with Chloe I am reminded of the infinite love of our Heavenly Father. I love when God reminds me he is never far off. He hasn't abandoned me. His love it is unending and it is perfect. 

Maybe Christmas time is difficult for some of you. This holiday possibly just reminds you how tense your relationships with your family are. But remember, that a great loving God sent his son to take on human flesh. God created us. He knew we had sinned and would never be able to meet his standard of perfection. That same God made a way for us, he had a solution for us. If this holiday is typically a hard reminder of friction and tension, I urge to look up. Where does your help come from? When we look up up we can't focus on ourselves and our problems. We can only look to the one who is our help. 



As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him. For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust. (Psalm 103:13, 14)

1 comment:

  1. It's so sweet to think God loves us like that :) Thanks Lacey!

    ReplyDelete