Friday, September 27, 2013

Ser y Estar

Earlier today I was humming along to my favorite song in Spanish, Gracias by Hillsong. The very first line is "Gracias por ser bueno." (Which means thank you for being good.) In Spanish, there are two verbs that one could use when wanting to say "to be." The two verbs are Ser and Estar. The easiest way to describe which one means what is that you use Ser when you are talking about permant things.(I.e i am short/tall) Whereas with Estar is used when you describe things that are changing like emotions or where you are (Estoy en mi casa, I am in my house. Or Estoy feliz, I am happy.) Where you are and how you feel always changes.

While I was singing along with the song, it hit me that God doesn't change. He is always good whether or not I am. In English we just have to be. I am happy. God is good.  I thought it was super interesting that something as simple as a verb could remind me of God's steadfastness.



Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever. (Psalm 136:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment