Thursday, July 18, 2013

And we raised our goldfish


     For the body does not consist of one member but of many. If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. If all were a single member, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, yet one body. Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. (1 Corinthians 12:14-20, 27 ESV)

God has been showing me the importance of his body, his church, his people. I love being a small vessel because the smaller Lacey is, the bigger her God is. I'm amazed that God includes crazy sinners in his plan; but I love that He does. I love watching his people work together. I enjoy watching my brothers and sisters in Christ be encouraged and uplifted in their native tongue. Even though I don't always know what is being said, or understand what is going on, it makes my heart happy just knowing they are getting fed the word of God.

Feeding Centers:

Iglesia Celebración has one feeding center three times a week for homeless men and women on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I very much enjoy participating in the feeding center because it is a huge way to show respect to people who never get any. Homeless people in Costa Rica are treated worse than the stray dogs around here. The ministry has known of people getting shooed off porches, sprayed with gasoline, and set on fire. We like to take this time to honor and respect these people in any way possible. Don Miguel, Pastor Miguel's father, is in charge of the feeding center. He will lead the men and women in a few songs and a short message before anyone is served food. Once we serve the food and they eat it, we clean up the church. As special treat, the past few weeks, we have been able to pray over multiple people who linger after the feeding center. 

The other feeding center Iglesia Celebración is a part of is a feeding center in Verbena. Now this feeding center is different from the homeless feeding center because it is a mobile feeding center. We transport the food to this barrio. This is one of the most dangerous barrios we go into, the police don't even go in down to Verbena. God always goes before us, though! Check out this video to get a glimpse of all the feeding centers 6:8 Ministries helps out. There is a feeding center everyday of the week except Tuesday. 

http://vimeo.com/67151635


Homeless feeding center


Verbena



Verbena

In general, I love attending the Sunday morning service! It is a beautiful time of worship through song and hearing the bible preached. It is fun to see the people from the barrios at church, as well. Whenever it is needed, I help on the serve team at church. The serve team greets people and takes offering. On wednesday's I help my friend, Enrique, with the kids during the mid-week small groups. I absolutely love it! This kid is all of 11 or 12 years old and he plans a little lesson, maybe a craft, or sometimes just coloring, but i enjoy all of it! :)

 A few weeks ago, on Sunday, we had communion. It was definitely a very special Sunday. The team that had come down, from New York, had graciously blessed the worship team with new instruments. On that Sunday. The church was especially full. On that Sunday. God's presence was so near, dear, and particularly sweet to me. On that Sunday. It was a beautiful sight to behold. I just stood amazed. Thankful for God's son, his people, and his blessings. And to top it off, we had communion. I took my goldfish and my little cup of grape juice and, collectively, corporately, we thanked God for his precious son. 

Serving alongside my brothers and sisters, laughing, hugging, crying, and playing fuels me. I simply love playing a small role in God's huge kingdom. The people of Iglesia Celebración are more of a blessing to me than they will ever know.



1 comment: