Thursday, June 14, 2012

Serving the Poor

As I've mentioned before, I have been reading the book, Crazy Love with some friends of mine. It has been a great time of sharing and learning. While the whole book is fantastic, the chapter we read last was by far, the most convicting chapter for me. The idea of serving people and blessing them without getting anything back was the theme. It is wonderful to give people you know and love things but they have the resources to return the gift. What about giving without getting back squat. zero, zulch, nada, because those who don't have the same money or gifts as you can't pay you back. Yet, I've been thinking that the beauty of this mindset is that is what Christ did for me! I was scumb (still kind of dirty ; ) ) the lowest of the low, in the sinner crowd, though, he stooped to the level of a common man to rescue me.  There is nothing that I could bring God, or give to Jesus to come near repaying him for what he did.

I've just been doing a lot of thinking as to how I could fulfill this role of giving without expecting anything back. I thought of some ideas but still I'd kind of like to do something totally random and helpful.


  • Feeding the homeless
  • Babysitting for church members for free
While those two thins are awesome, I'm still trying to come up with ideas. The verses that have been constantly on my mind are from  Luke 8 where prostitute washes Jesus' feet. We really can't give anything to repay God but he does call us to serve because when we do, we serve Him.

 What has God been teaching you lately? Any encouraging verses to share?

2 comments:

  1. Lately, it's been a lot about trust. And mainly trusting that he'll keep my brother and a friend safe in the Army. I know whatever happens is God's will, and Clay is completely in His hands... but sometimes I don't like that. And sometimes I want my bubba in MY hands(; lol

    It's just hard because I understand the reality of the job he's taken, and it scares me to death. Clay is a Believer, and God has a plan for his life, for my life, for everything. But it's hard to believe that he's 100% safe and secure and he won't die a second sooner than God has planned... whether it be in 5 years or 75 years.

    I've just been struggling, trying, trusting lately.

    A verse, errr... passage that helps me is Isaiah 26:1b-4

    “We have a strong city;
    he sets up salvation
    as walls and bulwarks.
    2 Open the gates,
    that the righteous nation that keeps faith may enter in.
    3 You keep him in perfect peace
    whose mind is stayed on you,
    because he trusts in you.
    4 Trust in the Lord forever,
    for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.

    (;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being open about this. I have no idea what it's like but I know God will be your strength, and those verses are some of my mom's favorites!

      Delete