Friday, September 23, 2011

UCF Admissions Essay


 Approximately four and a half years ago, the number of kids in my family doubled overnight. Five years ago my parents decided to do something cross cultural; they adopted three kids from Liberia, Africa. Adoption had been something that was implanted in both my parents minds as kids and young adults. A magazine, “Above Rubies”, highlighted four Liberian orphanages that caught my mom's attention. Soon after seeing the magazine article, my parents began to consult friends and family about adopting, but most importantly, they were praying that God's will be done in their families lives. After a lot of paperwork was filled out, a home-study complete, and easily a hundred pictures were emailed, we chose the kids we thought would best fit our family. Valentines day 2007, my parents received their travel dates to go get the kids! My parents spent a week in Liberia, and when they returned, neither my two brothers, nor I expected the gravity of the situation.
March sixth 2007, is a day that I will never forget. It was the first day that my new brothers and sister were officially home. Kennedy was six, Mary was five, and Justino was two, everything was new and exciting. Sadly, by the end of the night, everyone ended up crying. Kennedy missed his family back in Africa, Mary knocked her head on the banister, and Justino was crying because Mary was crying! Eventually the three biological kids snapped and began to cry as well. It was an incredibly emotional situation because we finally all realized that we were stuck together. There was no going back, we were a family.
It was a real struggle for me, being the oldest in the family, to cope with the fact that we were different than other families. We would take trips to wal-mart and get plenty of looks from other shoppers. First of all, a large family in America is typically unheard of, and secondly we were a biracial family. Through this life-changing experience, though tough at times, I have grown tremendously in responsibility. Whether it's helping kids get dressed for church on Sunday, planning meals, or switching a load of laundry around, a family unit cannot function without everyone. As the oldest, not all, but a lot responsibility tends to fall on me. I must be the example for the younger kids and demonstrate maturity. My family is my backbone. Without my family supporting me and ultimately helping me grow, I would not be who I am today. The Lord has placed three wonderful new siblings in my life, all of whom I love! This “bump in the road” has caused tears, heartache, laughter and many happy memories. And those are the things the stick with me, all the good times. I have done a lot of growing up during these past four and a half years, but at the end of the day I am very thankful, because my new family environment helped develop who I am.

2 comments:

  1. Lace, I want to say... I: :D, :'( + :D,C:, ^_^and... :O.jkjk:). You are such an awesome person, girl! Aaand yo fam's thee bomb!!:)) Keep God the blazing and glorious center of your life and everything else will fall into proper orbit:). U go girl!<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too! And you all should definitely come over again or vice versa :)

    ReplyDelete